YKSRose.gif (1015 bytes)

 

Hull Churches
and
Parishes

This is a list of all the ANGLICAN churches and parishes which have ever existed in the area now covered by the modern city of Hull.

As well as the 2 original parishes in Hull, these include the whole of the parishes of Drypool, Marfleet, Sculcoates and Sutton as well as parts of the surrounding parishes of Cottingham, Hessle, Kirk Ella and North Ferriby.  It also includes details of new parishes created when the original parishes were divided into smaller parts.

Those churches marked * are still in use.

Parishes in and around Hull c1770
Parishes created from Holy Trinity (Hull)
Parishes created from Drypool
Parishes created from Marfleet
Parishes created from Sculcoates
Parishes created from Sutton
Parishes created from Cottingham
Parishes created from Kirk Ella and North Ferriby
Parishes created from Hessle

Parishes in and around Hull c1770

Holy Trinity*, Market Place, Hull.
First mentioned c1200 when it was described as being a chapel of ease in the parish of Hessle.
It was used as a parish church from c1550 but did not became a separate parish until 1661.

St Mary the Virgin*, Lowgate, Hull.
First mentioned in 1327 when it was described as being a chapel of ease in the parish of North Ferriby.  In 1333 it became a parish church in all but name.

St Peter, Drypool.
There was a church in Drypool from 1226 when it was described as belonging to Swine Priory. It had its own parish from the middle ages until 1878.  It then became a chapel of ease to the newly-built St Andrew and was assigned its own district out of Drypool in 1879.  The church was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 and the parish was combined with that of St Andrew in 1951.

St Giles*, Marfleet.
A church was first mentioned in Marfleet c1217 when it was described as a chapelry of Paull.
By 1706 it was described as a parish church.

St Mary, corner of Air Street/Bankside, Sculcoates.
A church in Sculcoates is first mentioned in 1232.  It was rebuilt c1759.   It closed in 1869 but re-opened in 1872 and a district was given to it in 1873.   It closed and was mostly demolished c1917 when a new church also dedicated to St Mary* was built in Sculcoates Lane.  The tower of the old church remained standing until the 1950s.

St James the Great*, Sutton.
First mentioned c1160 when it was described as a dependent chapel of Wawne.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Holy Trinity, Hull

St John the Evangelist, St John Street (later Queen Victoria Square), Hull.
Consecrated in 1791 and opened in 1792 as a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity.  It was not until 1868 that it was given its own district from Holy Trinity and St Stephen (see below).   It was closed in 1917 and then demolished when the parish was combined with Holy Trinity.  Ferens Art Gallery now stands on the site.

St James (in the Potteries), St James Square, Hull.
Consecrated in 1831 (although services had been held in a school since 1819).   A district was given to it from Holy Trinity in 1874.  It was demolished in 1957 and parish combined with that of Holy Trinity.  The site is now a garden.

St Stephen, St Stephen’s Square, Hull.
It was consecrated in 1845 and was given its own district from Holy Trinity in 1859.  It was damaged by enemy action in during the Second World War and demolished in 1955.  The parish was then combined with that of St Jude (see below).  The site is now a garden.

St Luke, St Luke Street, Hull.
A disused dissenting chapel in Nile Street was used as a temporary church, which later moved to Porter Street.  This was replaced by a permanent building which was consecrated in 1862 and a district from Holy Trinity was given to it in 1864.  It was badly damaged by enemy action in the Second World War and later demolished.   The parish was then combined with that of Holy Trinity and the site is now occupied by housing.

St Matthew*, corner of Anlaby Road/Boulevard, Hull.
There had been a temporary church dedicated to St Michael in Coltman Street since 1866.  The new church was consecrated in 1870 and a district given to it from Holy Trinity in 1872.

St Barnabas, corner of Hessle Road/Boulevard, Hull.
It was consecrated in 1874. and a district given to it from Holy Trinity in 1874.  It was closed in 1970 and subsequently demolished.  Housing now occupies the site.

St Jude, Spring Bank, Hull.
It was consecrated and was given a district from Holy Trinity in 1874.   The parish was merged with that of St Stephen in 1957 when the latter was demolished.  The merged parish was combined with that of St Augustine in 1973 and the church was later demolished.  The site is now used for retail purposes.

St Thomas, Campbell Street, Hull.
A temporary church opened in 1873 and the permanent church consecrated in 1882.   A district was given to it from Holy Trinity in 1882.  It was damaged in the First and Second World Wars and later demolished.  The parish was combined with that of Holy Trinity in 1957 and the site is now occupied by housing.

The Holy Apostles*, Walker Street, Hull.
It was dedicated in 1960 as a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity, replacing the former parishes of St James, St Luke and St Thomas.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Drypool

St Bartholomew/St Nathaniel, Hedon Road, Hull.
This building was originally erected in 1852 as the Sacristy in Drypool cemetery.   It was licensed for services in 1877 as St Nathaniel but its name was changed to St Bartholomew in 1885.  It was demolished in 1929 when the cemetery closed.

St Andrew, Holderness Road, Hull.
It was consecrated and became the parish church in 1878.  It ceased to be the parish church in 1961 and closed in 1983-4.  It was subsequently demolished and housing now occupies the site.

St Columba*, Laburnam Avenue, Hull.
A temporary church was dedicated in 1914 and the first part of the permanent church was dedicated in 1929.  This was destroyed by bombing in 1943.  The present building was consecrated and became the parish church in 1961.

St John the Evangelist*, Rosmead Street, Hull.
A temporary church was opened in 1919 but this was destroyed by fire in 1923.   A permanent building was consecrated in 1925 but partly destroyed by enemy action in 1941.  It was however restored and re-consecrated in 1952.

St Aidan*, Southcoates Avenue, Hull.
Services were first held at 77 College Grove in 1924 and a temporary church opened in 1925.  The first part of the permanent church was dedicated in 1935.   It was consecrated in 1955 and was given a new district taken from parishes of Drypool, Marleet and St Michael in 1954.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Marfleet

St George*, Marfleet Lane, Hull.
It was dedicated in 1938 as a chapel of ease.

St Philip, Barham Road*, Bilton Grange Estate, Hull.
It was dedicated in 1952 as a chapel of ease after Hull's boudaries were extended to include all of Bilton Grange estate.

St Hilda*, Annandale Road, Greatfield Estate, Hull.
It was dedicated in 1960 as a chapel of ease.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Sculcoates

All Saints, Margaret Street, Hull.
It was consecrated and became the parish church in 1869.  It was replaced as parish church by St Stephen the Martyr (see below) in 1972 and was closed and demolished in 1974.   Housing now occupies the site.

Christ Church, Worship Street, Hull.
Consecrated in 1822 as a chapel of ease but a district was only given to it in 1886.  It was badly damaged by bombing in 1941, but services continued in the damaged building until 1952.  It was demolished in 1962 and the parish was combined with that of St Paul.  There is now a car park on the site.

St Paul*, corner of St Paul Street/Cannon Street, Hull.
A district was created in 1844 and a church consecrated in 1847.  The steeple was demolished in 1958 and the rest of the building in 1976.  It was replaced by a new building on almost the same site.

St Clement, St Pauls Street, Hull.
This was a mission church in the parish of St Paul which opened in 1879.  It was demolished in 1937.  There is now housing on the site.

St Silas, Barmston Street, Hull.
It was consecrated and a district given to it out of St Pauls parish in 1871.   It closed in 1967, was damaged by fire in 1968 and subsequently demolished.   The site is now occupied by industry.

St Philip, corner of Charlotte Street/Paradise Row, Hull.
It was consecrated and a district given to it from Sculcoates, Trippett (which was then in Holy Trinity parish) and the extra-parochial district of the Charterhouse in 1885.  It was damaged in the Second World War and then demolished.  The parish was combined with that of Christ Church.   The site is currently derelict.

St Stephen the Martyr*, Spring Bank, Hull
The church (which was originally a Methodist chapel) was consecrated in 1972, replacing All Saints as parish church.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Sutton

St Mark (in the Groves), St Mark Street, Hull.
It was consecrated in 1844 with a district taken from Sutton and the extra-parochial district of Garrison Side in 1844.  It was badly damaged in the Second World War, closed in 1948 and demolished in 1958-9.  The parish was combined with that of St Saviour.   The site is now occupied by industry.

St Saviour, Stoneferry Road, Hull.
A temporary building was dedicated in 1898.  The permanent church was consecrated in 1903 and a district given to it from the parishes of Sutton and St Mark in 1904.  The parish was combined with St Mark in 1957 and the church demolished in 1981.   The site is now occupied by industry.

St Michael and All Angels*, Holderness Road, Hull.
A temporary church was dedicated in 1913.  The permanent church was consecrated and a district given to it from the parishes of Sutton and Drypool.

St Margaret of Scotland*, Shannon Road, Hull.
It was dedicated in 1959 in the parish of St Michael.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Cottingham

St John*, Clough Road, Newland, Hull.
It was consecrated in 1833 but it did not get its own district from Cottingham until 1862.

St Augustine of Hippo, Queens Road, Hull.
A temporary building was opened in 1884.  A permanent church was consecrated in 1896 and a district given to it in 1897.  It was closed and then demolished in 1976.

St Cuthbert*, Marlborough Avenue, Hull.
A temporary church in St Augustine’s parish was opened in 1906 but destroyed during the Second World War.  A new building was dedicated in 1956.

St Alban*, Hall Road, Hull.
A temporary building was opened in 1929 and the first part of the permanent church was consecrated in 1938.  It was completed and consecrated in 1956 and was given a district taken from the parishes of Newland and Cottingham in 1936.

St Michael*, Orchard Park Road, Hull.
A temporary church was opened in 1934 and a district was given to it from Newland and Cottingham in 1950.  A permanent church was consecrated in 1958.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Kirk Ella and North Ferriby

St John the Baptist*, St Georges Road, Newington, Hull.
It was consecrated in 1878 and a district from Kirk Ella and North Ferriby was given to it in 1879.

St Mary and St Peter, Hessle Road, Dairycoates, Hull.
It was consecrated in 1902 and a district from Newington was given to it in 1906.  It was demolished in 1962 as a result of road improvements.  It was replaced by another church on the opposite side of road which was consecrated in 1962.   This building was closed in 1969 and subsequently demolished.

The Transfiguration, Albert Avenue, Hull.
This church replaced a temporary building which had been used as a navvy mission during the building of the Hull and Barnsley Railway.  It was consecrated in 1904 and a district from Newington was given to it in 1906.  The church closed in the early 1970s and demolished in 1975.

St Martin*, corner of North Road/Anlaby Road, Hull.
This church replaced a temporary building which had opened in 1928.  It was consecrated in 1939 and a district from Anlaby, the Transfiguration and St Nicholas was given to it in 1938.

The Ascension*, Priory Road, Hull.
A district from the parishes of Anlaby, the Transfiguration and Cottingham was given to the temporary church in 1935.  The permanent church was consecrated in 1958 and it became a parish in 1959.

St Chad*, corner of Hotham Road/Louis Drive, Hull.
A temporary church in Anlaby was dedicated in 1941, assuming the title of St Thomas.  A new church was dedicated in 1957 as a district church to the Ascension.

Return to top of page

Churches and Parishes created from Hessle

St Nicholas*, corner of Hessle Road/Pickering Road, Hull.
                           It was consecrated in 1915 and a district given to it from Hessle                           

2000 S J Dixon - Please note that the information in these pages is the result of many, many hours of work
(over a period of 25 years) and may only be used for private research and study purposes.
It may not be incorporated into other works, used for commercial purposes or published in ANY form
without the written permission of the copyright owner.

WB00677_.gif (630 bytes)   Return to Home Page WB00677_.gif (630 bytes)     Return to top of page